An unearthly light glows from deep within the chasm. Voices echo throughout the gaping crevasse, pressing against the walls, seeking escape.
Shaman or Warrior? [M’Khiin Grubdoubler]
Upon entering Kanaglym, traveling eastward before crossing the bridge we will stumble upon a pile of equipment among the many shuttered doors of this lost dwarven town. Therein are two mutually exclusive sets of gear for M’Khiin to choose from; one for a shaman, the other a warrior.
We can convince M’Khiin that goblins frequently end up dead no matter how impressive their armor. She will realize on her own that she does not want to end up that way and will choose the ghost realm over that of the flesh. However, armor may just keep her alive a bit longer, but there’s one catch…
- Encourage M’Khiin to choose the shaman gear; The Soulherder’s Staff +2 & The Ghostdreamer’s Robe (6000xp)
- Allow M’Khiin to choose for herself and she selects the shaman gear (6000 xp)
- Encourage M’Khiin to choose the warrior gear; Axe of Kruntur +2 & Kruntur’s Armor +3 (6000 xp)
As the dialogue indicates, she will lose her shaman dance ability if she chooses the warrior gear, and that kind of defeats the point of having a shaman, especially since there’s a great deal of gear that enhances the dance’s potency. Then again…sentient armor…
M’Khiin will not be able to swap between the sets of armor; it’s one or the other. The [M’Khinn Grubdoubler] quest concludes with this choice.
Zhadroth [Zaviak’s Vision Quest]
We are able to pull Zhadroth the imprisoned lich into our plane. He is thankful for his liberation and spends little time waiting to exact his revenge on his jailers. If we have second thoughts we can attempt to stop him. We’d better have at least one charge of The Secret Revealed…
- Liberate Zhadroth (Ring of Regeneration)
- Refuse to allow him to escape (22000 xp, Ring of Regeneration, Robe of Arcane Aptitude)
Appearing at the entrance to Kanaglym, an Endless Watcher confronts us for freeing Zhadroth who had been imprisoned for centuries. It’s safe to say there was a very good reason he was imprisoned. A reason we will never know. He blames us for the thousands that will die for freeing Zhadroth and seeks to put an end to our party.
- [Cha / Evil?] If we tell the watcher we killed Zhadroth after freeing him the watcher will gift us the Astral Crossbow +2.
- If we don’t tell the watcher we killed the lich he turns hostile (9000 xp, Astral Crossbow +2)
- If we freed Zhadroth, when the watcher is near death, the lich will appear and Maze him (5500 xp). On the ground, we find the Astral Crossbow +2
Editor’s Note: With my good & neutral-aligned parties, the Endless Watcher did not believe my claim of freeing and killing Zhadroth, and he attacks. Perhaps a charisma or evil-alignment reaction? Or if we have a remaining charge of The Secret Revealed?
Sacrificial Ritual [The Cabal]
When we enter Kanaglym and cross the bridge, if we walk toward the ritual chamber we witness a pair of dark magicians converting sacrifices into the undead.
- If we attempt to save the sacrifices, everyone turns hostile, epic mayhem ensues.
- If we let the ritual play out, we witness the sacrifices one by one transformed into zombies.
Kherriun [Ghost Dragon Guardian]
It appears it is Kherrium who commands Halatahlaer. If I kill her, I can free the ghost dragon. Damaging the necromancer will destroy the ghost jar freeing Halatathlaer, she will join the fray. Whether or not Halatathlaer will be friend or foe will be determined by how quickly we can injure Kherriun. We must make haste or contend with a cabal of crazy necromancers AND a ghost dragon.
- Kherriun (5000 xp, Staff Mace +2, Robe of the Evil Arch Magi, Ring of Wizardry, Scroll of Chaos, Scroll of Greater Malison, Scroll of Animate Dead)
Halatathlaer [The Cabal]
With the help of Halatathlaer, I have defeated Kherriun and her cabal of dark magicians animating corpses beneath Dragonspear Castle (12000 xp).
In the aftermath of the battle Halatathlaer tells us what little it knows of Caelar Argent who her captors referred to as “a puppet”…”doing their dark master’s work.” The ghost dragon reveals that master is a man – if man he truly be – named Hephernaan. Lastly, we’re warned to, “beware the Exile.” Then she is off to the Fugue Plane (32000 xp).
Halatathlaer [Find Daeros]
Halatathlaer beseeches us to watch for the presence of Daeros Dragonspear, though he must be long dead. The ghost dragon wants Daeros to know it did not abandon him and tell him his friend awaits him on the Fugue Plane.
Hephernaan’s Ritual Notes [The Wychlaran and the Berserker]
There is a chest that contains Hephernaan’s Ritual Notes. It appears he is trying to raise an army of undead.
We can show this to Rigah & Julann as proof of the Crusade’s real intentions.
You throw the lost souls’ corpses down into the chasm and watch them disappear into the gray. A silent flash of spiritual energy marks each body’s crossing of the threshold into the Fugue Plane.
Throw the remains we collected in the Ettin Ghost Cave into the Fugue Plane portal (6000 xp). If he’s in the party, Glint and Litla will share their final farewells.
Neera & Adoy [The Call of the Wild Mage]
It turns out Adoy was annoying Neera in hopes to tell her about his death at the hands of the Red Wizards. And to warn her of The Order of Eight Staves. She and the other wild mages are being hunted and she has to protect them. Although Neera knows she must prepare for the inevitable confrontation she’s not leaving until Caelar has been dealt with (18000 xp).
This concludes Neera’s [Call of the Wild Mage] quest.
- Coalition Camp
- Canyon Ambush
- Dead Man’s Pass
- Bloodbark Grove
- Dragonspear Castle Exterior
- Underground River Entrance
- Dead Man’s Pass Parlay
- Allied Siege Camp